Try your luck at a British style pub quiz. Answers are posted below.
1) What is ‘chin wagging’?
2) When would you ask ‘are you alright’?
3) Who is the new Dr. Who?
4) What British TV show is Simon Cowell bringing to the US next?
5) Name the items in a full English breakfast:
6) Name the capitals of England, Scotland, and Ireland:
7) Give the British term for hooking up:
8) Name all six Jane Austen novels:
9) Who is the current Prime Minister?
10) How many years does it take to earn a degree at uni?
11) Queen Elizabeth II is from what royal family?
12) Where are the English and Scottish crown jewels stored?
13) Modes of transportation there not as predominate in the US?
14) The national sport of the UK:
15) What sport do the girls play most often?
16) Brits drive ___ type of cars on the ___ side of the road.
17) Currently $1 equals how many British pounds?
18) A resume is called a ___ and is different since it asks for ___.
19) What is the British national anthem?
20) Which two Brits are on their paper currency?
21) What do they say instead of ‘expired’?
22) What is the term for bathroom?
23) When a bobby yells at you, who is he?
24) Which is cheaper in the UK, Indian or Chinese cuisine?
25) What is black pudding?
26) Where would one find a lorrie?
27) What condiment is in every sandwich?
28) What are some unusual ingredients found in jacket potatoes?
29) Which museum in London holds the Rosetta Stone?
30) What did the Romans believe caused the hot springs in Bath?
31) What do Brits mean when they are ‘pissed’?
32) A statue of which monarch is located in nearly every English city:
33) In what club and on what street were the Beatles discovered by Brian Epstein?
34) Manchester is the home of what first in England?
35) At what uni did I attend?
1) to have a gossip or a chat
2) as a greeting to mean “how are you doing?”
3) Matt Smith
4) The X-Factor
5) eggs, sausage, bacon, hash browns, toast, beans in tomato sauce, mushrooms, tomato, black pudding, and coffee or tea
6) London, Edinburgh, and Dublin, respectively
7) to pull
8) Pride & Prejudice, Sense & Sensibility, Emma, Mansfield Park, Northanger Abbey, Persuasion
9) Gordon Brown
12) Tower of London and Edinburgh Castle
13) national trains and double decker buses
15) netball (similar to basketball but played in skirts and with more limited movement)
16) they drive manual cars with the driver’s side on the right as they drive on the left side of the road
17) $1 currently equals 0.65 GBP or 65 pence
18) CV and asks for applicants to list their personal interests like drawing or cricket
19) there is no official national anthem but “God Save the Queen” is played at most functions
20) Queen Elizabeth II and Charles Darwin (I was told by them that the Brits value evolution more than God)
21) gone off
22) the loo
23) a policeman
24) Indian cuisine because all Chinese food is sold separately so a chicken dish is 4 pounds then rice is an additional 2 pounds
25) blood sausage, which is actually delicious
26) on the road going down a round about or sitting in a car park since it is a big truck
28) beans in tomato sauce, cheese, tuna, and several other variations
29) The British Museum
30) the goddess Minerva
31) they are well drunk
32) Queen Victoria
33) the Cavern Club on Matthews Street
34) the first railroad warehouse
35) Lancaster University